Sunday, July 31, 2011

We Survived!

My biggest fear throughout my pregnancy was the idea of having 2 kids to care for by myself during the day. God gave me two hands and I worried that Caleb would need one, Aaron the other, and that would leave no hands for anything I needed to do! I realize MANY people out there have two or more children and survive every day...but I just couldn't figure out how it was going to work!

I loved having Jonathan home for two weeks, but the whole time I was counting down to the dreaded day that I would be left alone with both boys. I'm very happy to report that all the worry, dread, and fear was unnecessary. Yes, there have been some tough moments and earnest prayers this week, but I feel that we didn't just survive, we actually kind of thrived!

Monday was supposed to be Jonathan's first day back, but I made the horrible error of not eating before I took my iron pill. Wow - I will never make that mistake again, EVER. With that mistake, Jonathan stayed home to help me as I was rather sick during the morning.

So our week really began on Tuesday. Jonathan stayed home first thing to be with Caleb while I took Aaron to his 2 week check-up and when we got home, he went in to work. I will say that Tuesday was a rough day. Caleb was very clingy any time I was holding Aaron. Luckily, little brother sleeps well in the swing, so it was just nursing and getting him to sleep that I had to hold him. It took most of the day to figure out ways I could interact with Caleb during those times. By the time Jonathan got home at 5, things had gotten a little better but I was exhausted.

Wednesday was another partial day on my own. Mal came for her usual time with Caleb in the morning, so Aaron and I ran a few errands. This made the day go much faster, but even just the afternoon seemed to go a little better than Tuesday. Thursday and Friday continued the pattern. Each day seemed a little more natural. I can't say easier is the right word, but comfortable fits. There were times I wished I could be 2 people and other times I wished I could disappear for a few minutes, but overall things went much better than I expected.

I know there will be tough days and at some point I'll have to start figuring out how to get dinner on the table again, but I couldn't have asked for a better first week with both of my boys. I hope that when those hard days come, I can look back on the past few days and have hope for better days again. I even kept up with the laundry, cleaned dishes and did some light housework. (Not too much...I won't be "okayed" to do much until my 6 week appointment)

One thing that is much harder with two kids...taking pictures! But here are a few I managed to get!

Sleeping Peacefully
Caleb being silly with the cat
Watching Mommy

Someone found his thumb : )
Many of you with multiple kids might be laughing at me by now, but I'm seriously relieved to know I am capable and that we are all alive and well after our first week. Now that we've made it through four days at home I may be ready to get out of the house with both boys...but probably only to go to Grandma or GG's house... not sure we're ready for shopping just yet : )

On a totally separate note: Jonathan's dad has been working in California since Aaron was born so he hadn't gotten a chance to meet him. With TS Don in the Gulf, his company sent him home just in case. Of course, Don went further south, but it did give Jonathan's dad a chance to come by. Here are a few pictures from earlier today.  (It was Caleb's naptime, so he wasn't exactly cooperative...)

4 Lutz men generations

Grandpa with both of his grandsons

No comments:

Post a Comment