Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Perfect Day

I love when an unplanned, unscheduled, lazy day turns into a perfect, lovely day. It doesn't happen often, as most days with kids require some extent of planning, but the beauty of not rushing and not feeling the pressure of something that needs to be done is amazing! 

On Wednesday during Spring Break, we planned to relax at home and when Mal came over in the afternoon  to babysit (as she does most Wednesday afternoons) I was going to go to GG's to talk about sewing things. First thing in the morning, Mal let me know she was getting sick and she wouldn't be able to come over. I figured we would just stay home and not worry about going to GG's, there was no way we'd be able to talk about anything in detail with two crazy boys with us. GG and Mom suggested that I bring over bikes and outside toys and we would talk outside while the boys played. So after Aaron's nap, I gathered up our toys and headed over for a quick visit. 

The weather was still gorgeous, so it was really pleasant to be outside all afternoon. GG, Mom and I did ZERO talking about what we wanted to, but to watch the boys play outside was priceless. We tried to leave Derrill alone since we knew he had work to do, but it wasn't long before he was outside with his bike too. 

Caleb and Derrill went up and down the driveway about a zillion times.
Aaron on his fire truck. I think he's outgrown this one : (
Glad I had found some side walk chalk on sale a few days earlier! 


Above is one of my favorite videos. I wish I had gotten out there earlier. GG asked Caleb if Aaron could try his bike, and Caleb decided he needed to steer for brother. He was encouraging him the whole time and driving for him! They were having so much fun! 

Not too long after Mom and I got to GG's, we decided to call the Dad, Jonathan and Katy to tell them to meet us after work for an impromptu dinner. We had Papa go pick up bbq from our local favorite, T-bone Tom's, and GG whipped together a few sides from what she had in the pantry. 

Caleb's picture of Pops turned out pretty good!
At Christmas, I drew Derrill's name for our gift exchange and got him these frisbee disks. Our weather has either been gross or super windy since Christmas, so this was our first time to try them out. They are awesome! I've never been able to throw a frisbee very well, but these were easy to use and it didn't take much to get them moving. Caleb was even getting pretty good with them by the end of the day. I gave him two, so things got interesting with all the adults throwing the frisbees and kids trying to steal them. Throw in a basket full of tennis balls and two bikes and you've got some entertainment!

 




As the sun started to go down, it was time for us to head home. The boys didn't want to leave so we headed down to the water to walk for a minute while Jonathan packed up the toys. 



After I got home and we got the boys to bed, I reflected on the events of the day and concluded this day was at the top of the charts for my favorite day ever. It's definitely within the top ten. I loved that all of our local family could get together at the drop of a hat to relax and enjoy some time together. Even when planning, it's rare that everyone is available so easily. 

I regularly realize how blessed we are to have so much family around, especially when many of my friends do not. I'm so thankful for days like these! 

No comments:

Post a Comment