Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mullinnix Family Reunion '11

Every 4th of July weekend, my dad's side of the family gets together for our annual reunion. I'll likely be around a week away from Aaron's arrival around that time this year, so the family decided to move it up a month so that Jonathan, Caleb and I would still be able to attend. We are so thankful that everyone changed their schedules so that we could all be together (I think Grandpa liked it because we could celebrate his birthday too!) My cousin's kids were the only ones that couldn't be there. I'm sorry we missed them, but at least we get to keep up with them on facebook!

The "early-birds", from left: Dad, Granny, Me, Katy and Mom (Grandpa was hiding somewhere and Jonathan was taking the picture)

The group kept growing: (from left) Katy, Thomas, Mom, Eli, Kristen, Me, Dad, Grandpa, Granny

By lunch the whole group was there!

Grandma giving Caleb a cookie

The men playing dominos (around the table: Thomas, Jonathan, Dad, Grandpa)
I borrowed these last two from Kristen's blog, the boys are good at sharing their toys! 

Caleb played with Eli's toy most of the time we were there. 

Eli borrowing Caleb's coloring book. 
All the planning in the world can't account for your child's sleeping patterns! Caleb typically wakes up between 7:30 and 8 at home, but we had to get him up early and get him in the car around 6 on Saturday morning. I was sure he would fall back asleep and sleep in the car for at least an hour if not two. Well, he dozed for around 20 minutes during the ride, but nothing like I expected. I really thought if he slept in the car on the way there he could last until 3 or 4 and then sleep on the ride home. With the short doze we didn't make it that long though. Unfortunately, we had to leave at 2 to avoid a complete meltdown, but that's the way things go when kids are involved!

In the past, we have always gotten up early to drive there (around 2 1/2 hours) and stayed the night so that it wouldn't be too much driving in one day. I'm having so much trouble sleeping now that we decided it would be best to come home the same day so I could sleep in our bed. Wow, over 5 hours in a car is a lot! We made it, but I've had some back pain and leg cramps today. I don't think we'll be going very far for a while!

We had a great time at the reunion. It was nice to sit together and hear what everyone's been up to. We celebrated Grandpa's 83rd birthday this weekend as well. We are so blessed to have chances to hear more stories from our grandparents' lives now that we are old enough to bother to listen!

We're looking forward to next year's reunion when Aaron and a new cousin will be joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment