Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Fun!

I absolutely LOVE my family and I love that we get together regularly! It is such a blessing to truly enjoy spending time with every single person born into or married into my family! Late last week, GG called up everyone and asked if we could all get together for a Memorial Day Fish Fry! Of course, we said "count us in!". My Uncle Derrill makes fish far better than any restaurant I've ever been to, and, in my opinion, does not cook often enough so we jump at any chance we get for him to man the grill!

On Monday afternoon we joined GG, Papa, Derrill, my parents, Kristen, Eli and Mal in Kemah. We enjoyed the afternoon outside with a breeze coming in off the bay. Derrill and Papa took care of the fish while the ladies brought all the extras. Derrill even made a pool for the boys with an inflatable boat! We spent several hours there eating, laughing and watching the boys play in the water. It's funny, I actually have pictures from when I was a kid and we had a baby pool set up in the same spot for us to play in while the adults talked on the patio!











When it was time to go, Kristen and Eli came back to the house with us to spend the night. Thomas is out of town, but it was great to have them stay with us! It's fun to watch Eli play around Caleb. I think he wants to play with him, but doesn't know how! Kristen and I had planned a few weeks ago to take the boys to Palm Beach and it made more sense for them to spend the night rather than drive up to Spring and then back down to Galveston the next day!

If you don't know, Palm Beach is the "pool" part of Moody Gardens in Galveston. We love it because it is sloped around the edges like the beach (meaning I can let Caleb sit in the water) but it's chlorinated water. There are two large pools, a splash pad, and a water playground. They also have clean, white sand and beach umbrellas and chairs. This was Caleb's first time in a pool (baby pool not included) and I wasn't really sure how he would handle it. Crazy for me to worry... he LOVED it! He kept splashing and jumping on me! I let him sit on the sloped area with me for a while and also took him out in the deeper water so it could surround him. He also loved playing in the sand! I put him down on a blanket and he kept crawling over to the sand to play in it! Thank goodness he never put it in his mouth, he just squished it in his hands! Tuesday afternoon I had a VERY worn out little boy, but I know he had a great time and I can't wait to take him again!




Between painting on Saturday and Sunday, fish fry on Monday and Palm Beach on Tuesday we were certainly exhausted, but the extended weekend was a great one! So glad Caleb has so many opportunities to spend time with his amazing family!

No comments:

Post a Comment