Saturday, February 27, 2010

Yucky bug!

We survived the week! This is quite a blessing as it has been a very difficult week in our household.

On Monday night, Caleb threw up twice in his crib during the night. During the day he occasionally spits up a VERY small amount, but this was "change the crib sheets" messy. By Tuesday morning it was obvious he had caught some kind of virus. He threw up after every feeding and we were having some diaper issues. I called the doctor and we decided to bring him in. I knew there wouldn't be anything he could take for a virus, but it made me feel better to take just to be on the safe side. I must add, I love his doctors office! We called and had an appointment in a little over an hour and waited at most 5 minutes in the waiting room. So, the doctor confirmed that it was a virus and all I could do was love on him and wash my hands a lot. We got home and he threw up a few more times, but for the most part he was still his happy self. By Tuesday evening he had stopped spitting up and everything was fine again. I'm so thankful that his first time being sick was short lived and that he was generally ok besides the spitting up!

Wednesday started off like a normal day. I was still watching his diapers to make sure he hadn't become dehydrated from the day before, but Caleb and I had a regular day. Around 3 in the afternoon, however, I realized I was getting nauseous. I didn't want to call Jonathan because I knew he had a lot going on at work, but (and I know it was a God thing) he decided to come home early "just because" that day. You must understand, Jonathan very rarely comes home early. His work group is more flexible in the morning, but typically stays later in the evening. This is how I know God was involved, there was no other reason for Jonathan to be home early. I slowly got to feeling worse during the evening and right after Caleb went to bed (another God thing) got sick. Unfortunately, when it came time for Caleb's nightly feeding I was not able to feed him, so Jonathan had to give him a bottle. These days bottles do not go very well. He did fine with them until he became aware of his surroundings and really throws fits now. So Jonathan helped me until somewhere around 11 or 12 and then tried giving Caleb a bottle. The night is a blur to me but I know Caleb eventually got a few ounces from his bottle and I finally stopped being sick around 2 or 3 in the morning.

The next few days are all jumbled. I didn't throw up any more but it took until Sunday evening for me to eat anything resembling a normal meal. Jonathan was wonderful! I couldn't ask for someone better to take care of me and Caleb. I think he was ready to go back to work this morning though. I guess 4 straight days of me being under the weather and Caleb needing lots of attention is pretty exhausting.

On this rainy, gloomy Monday Caleb and I plan to stay home and keep getting Mommy's energy back. I'm thankful that Jonathan could be home with us Thursday and Friday and that I know when I'm not around Caleb is taken care of, if only we could get the bottle thing going well again!

I hope it's a long time til we have a bug in our house again!

No comments:

Post a Comment