Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Visit to the Farm

My grandparents live around 2 1/2 hours away from us in a tiny farm community outside of Austin. They really aren't that far away, but somehow a newborn and 2 year old on that drive didn't sound all that pleasant. We wanted Aaron to meet his Great Granny & Grandpa soon, so we took a day trip out this past Saturday. My parents wanted to go at the same time, so we all loaded up in their van around 6 am and headed out to the farm. 

The trip up went very well. Aaron slept the whole way and Caleb allowed me to entertain him. I had hoped he would fall asleep after we put him in the car, but no such luck. At least he wasn't a grouch! Both boys were ready to see Granny and Grandpa when we got there.

Love at first sight : ) You can't tell very well, but Aaron is smiling at Grandpa. 
Our boys with their great-grandparents. This just makes me smile
Sitting around the table. This is like a view into my childhood. Every time we would visit the farm, the adults would spend forever talking around this table. 
Part of the reason we went up with my parents was so that Jonathan and my dad could do some work outside. Grandpa had three trees near the house that had died recently and needed to be taken down before they fell on the house or workshop. I wish I had gotten some working pictures, but I was busy inside with the boys. They got the three trees down before lunch, took a break to eat, and then cleaned up the debris. I found them out on the porch after they finished. 

Watching Great-Grandpa work on the tractor. There are four generations in this picture ... so special! 
Jonathan, Grandpa & Pops out on the patio. 
The women were inside discussing things Mom and I saw at the quilt show the day before.
When Caleb woke up from a short nap, he and Grandpa went for a little walk together. 

Walking in the carport.
Exploring the farm. 
Then Grandpa insisted that Jonathan and Caleb take a ride on Big Red. 

My two hard-workin' guys! 
Driving
Trying out one of the other tractors. He got to see Grandpa use this one to clean up some of the debris. 
Caleb wasn't the only one having fun at the farm. Aaron was loved on and spoiled rotten. Just check out this happy guy! 

Smiling while playing on the floor in the living room. 
 We had an early dinner and then packed up to head back home around 6. The car ride back didn't go quite as smoothly as the ride up, but it could have been much worse. We are really thankful to Pops for doing all the driving and Grandma for sitting next to Aaron and loving on him when he was fussy.

We had a GREAT visit to the farm and loved that Granny and Grandpa got to meet Aaron. We were completely exhausted the next day, but it was totally worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment