Friday, April 8, 2011

Caleb's 18 month checkup

Caleb had his 18 month check up this morning. When we got to the doctor's office, he had a blast playing in their "well children" area. It was neat for me to see him interact with kids he doesn't know. At one point he grabbed a toy truck that was in front of another child (a 3 year old that had some disabilities, he could pull himself around, but not walk or crawl). I told Caleb to give the truck back to the little boy and Caleb pushed it right over and gently gave it to him. He then went and found another toy like it wasn't a big deal. I was so proud of him for being gentle and sweet to another child.

They also had this Little Tikes slide.



Notice that it has little ridges to climb up, but no steps. Caleb went from fussing for me to help him (and truly needing my assistance) to doing it without any help in about 5 minutes. He spent the remainder of our waiting time going up the green part and down the slide over and over again. He got good enough that I went to sit down and just watch him. He certainly didn't need my help anymore! (and didn't want it either!) He always sat on the slide to go down too, he never tried to just step down. I'm thinking we may have to invest in something similar soon! 

So anyways, beyond my amazement watching my own child in the waiting room at the doctor's office... the actual visit was pretty normal. He's obviously an active child and does fine around other kids. He's not talking much yet, but we're seeing him begin to copy us more and attempt more words. The doctor wasn't concerned about how few words he actually says and agrees with me that, being a boy, he likely just needs a little more time. 

As far as stats go: surprise, surprise....we have a tiny child!

Height: 30 3/4" (9th percentile) - he is actually increasing in the height percentile

Weight: 19lbs 14 oz. (.5 percentile) - staying in the same percentile, but steadily growing which is mostly what they're watching for. 

After Caleb finished with his appointment, he and I headed over to Target to pick up a few things and before we made it home he had fallen asleep in the car. Between the excitement with the slide and his shot he must have totally worn himself out! He's been asleep for an hour so far and he usually isn't even starting his nap yet! So who knows what today will hold, our schedule is off for sure! 

Later today we're taking him for another haircut so I'll post some pics of him all handsome when we get done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment