Thursday, July 15, 2010

Weeds

I decided to start off my day in the Texas heat, surrounded by mosquitos as I pulled what seemed like a million weeds from my front flowerbed this morning. I feel like this is a continuous job, every few weeks I spend far too long out there, on my knees, killing myself to get rid of those pesky plants! At one point, the heat of the sun overcame me and I sat in the middle of the weeds, closed my eyes, and breathed. It was in that moment, that God found me.

Amazing, how He finds me when I don't even know I'm missing Him! He showed me how my reading of his word is much like how I deal with the weeds. Every few weeks, I open my bible to see what His words can show me, teach me. That's not to say that I'm not actively seeking him the other days, but there is something significant about opening my bible and letting God lead me to something I need to know. Bible studies, books and Sunday sermons are great (and needed), but I'm called to open my bible daily to give God that chance to reach me. If I were to read my bible diligently, maybe the weeds of life wouldn't seem to overwhelm me until I had to go open my bible; rather, the things I learn daily would help keep the weeds down. Of course, life's weeds can get overgrown even when I'm reading my bible daily, but God helps prepare my heart with His words so that I have the tools to conquer them!

If I spend 5, maybe 10 minutes in His word daily, it could be that the right verse or one of God's promises to us will pop into my head as the weeds take over instead of me looking for what I need while they climb over me.

Of course, maybe that will work with the weeds in my garden too, 5 minutes a day pulling the little weeds sounds a lot better than an hour or two pulling the forest every few weeks. The key though, is to be mindful of taking that time, because neither bible reading or weeding pulling will happen on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment