Friday, October 22, 2010

Way Behind

Hello all! Well, I'm way behind on blogging and have had several requests for some different news. And, of course, now that I have time to sit at the computer the website is having some "maintenance" done. Hopefully that won't effect this blog post too much.

So, I'll start with the special surprise I mentioned quite a while ago! Those of you that know me well know my one lifelong passion - Music. My parents let me start piano lessons while I was in elementary school and it quickly became one of my favorite things to do. My favorite piano books moved with me from one apartment to the next in college, but I rarely got the chance to play. Jonathan and I had recently started looking for a used piano for our home, but nothing we had seen really jumped at me. I always knew the piano I wanted, but figured it was something I would have to inherit in the far future. It's a strange attachment, while there are other, more expensive, more impressive pianos, the only one I wanted was the one I learned on and had it's home in my parent's living room for as long as I can remember.

Well, my parents shocked me by giving me their piano a few weeks ago! They have been redecorating their living room and decided it was time to part with the piano. I can think of only a few moments that top this one in my life (those being important milestones having to do with Caleb and Jonathan). I can never thank my parents enough for giving me such a wonderful gift! I have played nearly every day since it got to my house and Caleb loves reaching up and tinkering with it! I can't wait til he's old enough to begin lessons! I wish I had a better way to explain how amazing it is for me to have a piano, but I just can't think of an analogy to share! The best I can explain is to say music is a part of my innermost being and not having the ability to express it, in some ways, made me feel incomplete.

This is just a little video from the day we got the piano. Caleb now loves to sit on the bench with me and he uses one finger (I think it's his pointer finger) to play the black keys! He plays them one at a time...it's so cute!



I also haven't had a chance to write about our trip with Aunt Sarah, Lana and Grandma Mal to Old MacDonald's Farm on Columbus Day (meaning Jonathan got to come too). We had a fun time letting Lana and Caleb loose with animals in the petting zoo (don't worry, we were always nearby), walking through the pumpkin patch, and riding the train! The farm was about an hour away, so not somewhere we want to go often, but it was a fun outing for us. It was just another reminder that fall in Texas doesn't necessarily mean nice weather....it was a beautiful day, but it got pretty warm by the time we ate our picnic lunch.

Below are just a few pictures from the day.









And one more thing I'm behind on sharing... my wonderful mother made Caleb's Halloween costume this year. She did an amazing job! He's going to be our little lion. I took one picture of him the day she brought it. I'm not sure he cares for the head part, but at least I got one picture of him in it! I also took him to a local pumpkin patch this past Monday and let him explore the different pumpkins (he really likes the bumpy ones!) and got a few more pictures in the body part of the costume. A few of our friends met us at the pumpkin patch and we got to see their costumes as well...they already gave me some ideas for next year! I hope he'll wear the whole costume on Halloween (and I hope the weather is a little cooler), but, regardless, Grandma did a great job with his costume! Thanks again Mom!








Well, I guess that catches up everything for now, the big stuff anyways! We're staying VERY busy around here and Caleb seems to have more energy than either Jonathan or I. Hopefully things will slow down soon, but as we're beginning to enter the holiday season I highly doubt it!

(By the way, I started this post on Wednesday - hence the date at the top, but it took me two days to figure out how to post pictures since the website changed it! Hopefully it won't take me this long in the future! Please be patient with me as I figure things out) : )

No comments:

Post a Comment