Friday, April 12, 2013

Caleb's First Soccer Game

Caleb's soccer season started about a month ago with practices and this past weekend his team had their first game. It's been an interesting month. Caleb did great during his first practice, but since then he hasn't wanted to go on the field. The 2nd and 3rd practices he never went on the field at all, choosing to sit by me and watch instead. Heading to the first game, I knew not to have high expectations. Jonathan and I agree that we're not going to force him out onto the field. He has the choice to be on the field or sit on the sidelines and watch. He does not get to quit or stay home. I feel that it's important that he understand we don't quit on a team and at this age there's no telling when he might get the urge to play. He's told me all along that there's "too many kids" on the field, but as he gets used to them he may adjust. 

On Saturday morning, I was surprised when Caleb ran onto the field to warm-up with his friends. However, as soon as things got organized, he came to sit by me. We spent the morning watching his teammates play and cheering them on. He had fun, I had fun, it worked! Aunt Katy came to watch the game, but after it was evident that Caleb wouldn't play, she took Aaron over to the nearby play area to run around while I sat with Caleb. (Jonathan is assistant coach so he was out on the field the whole time.) 

Running during practice. This look is SO Caleb! 
Talking and playing with friends
I brought this chair for me...Aaron had other plans
Game is starting up, so Caleb came over to the side to watch.
Sitting near daddy at the goal
Aunt Katy heading back with Aaron after the game ended
Having snack with some friends after the game
On Monday, I prepared myself for another practice of Caleb sitting on the sidelines only to be surprised that he wanted to go out on the field! He participated in some activities and watched some of the others when he got overwhelmed, but stayed out on the field with everyone the whole time. I have no idea what to expect during the game tomorrow, but at the very least we'll get some fresh air : )

No comments:

Post a Comment